- Pro: I've discovered that I deal with things by talking them out (a lot), so posting this should help me with the healing process.
- Pro: When I ask people to pray for me, I feel that I should be specific, because I think the power of prayer is so much stronger when people can be detailed. Also, I know from personal experience that hearing what others are going through and sympathizing with the pain they feel causes me to be much more enthusiastic in my prayers for them.
- Big Con: As more and more people hear about my issues (and they will, as each person will inevitably tell someone else), I will be forced to talk about it even more, in greater detail, for a longer period of time. This could (in a way) hinder the healing process, because every time someone comes up to me and says, "I'm so sorry!" I'll get a fresh little reminder stab.
Having said all that, I think it's just better to talk about it.
At the end of January/beginning of February, I got a positive pregnancy test. I just knew I was pregnant; I could feel it. I've had three previous pregnancies, and I know my body well enough to know that something was different. It was a surprise, definitely, but all our pregnancies have been. Of course, when you don't use any kind of birth control, you may as well expect the unexpected at all times. When I told Nathan, he was a little less than excited, but I could understand. He's self-employed and self-insured. Each of our children cost about $10,000-$15,000 before we even brought them home from the hospital. He's the sole source of income for our family, so a new baby puts a lot of financial stress on him. I know he was happy about it, but the initial shock was overwhelming. I, too, was shocked. I love my kids so, so much. I have the three most adorable, intelligent children in the whole world, so I would love to have a hundred more! Okay, maybe not a hundred, but I wouldn't mind having more. That said, my first reaction was, "Oh...wow. Can I really handle another one at this point?" After a couple of days, I had warmed up to the idea, and was already trying to figure out a possible due date, renewing my prescription for prenatal vitamins, and mentally preparing for getting all the hand-me-downs ready.
At the same time, I was also really sick with some kind of upper respiratory virus that was making me miserable. I went to see my doctor on February 3, in the hope that he would give me some drugs to make me feel better. I told him about the positive test, knowing that would limit the medications he could prescribe, and he suggested doing another test in the office, just for confirmation. My job: pee in a cup, give it to the nurse, and wait. I waited. The office had apparently received some new kind of tests, and they couldn't find the instructions. Since they didn't know if they had run the first test correctly, they decided to do a second one after they located the how-to paper. The end result: two more postive pregnancy tests, a negative strep test and a negative flu test. My doctor sent me on my not-so-merry way with congratulations and NO drugs. "Call us if you get worse!" Grrrr.
The next evening, I started bleeding. I tried not to freak out. I convinced myself at first that it was just spotting relating to implantation, or that many women continue to have periods while they're pregnant. The bleeding got worse, and I started cramping. I literally felt my heart sink into my toes as I realized what was going on. I didn't want to call anyone to talk about what was going on, but I desperately needed someone to talk to. I just kept quiet.
The following Tuesday (the 9th), I had a follow-up appointment with my doctor. He wanted to do another test. I knew it would be negative. When he walked into the room with the results, I could tell by the look on his face that it was not going to be what I wanted to hear. I told him what had happened, and he just gave me a hug and let me cry.
I struggle with the thought that it was somehow my fault. Our fault. We weren't super excited at the start, and all that negativity somehow contributed to the death of our unborn child. Baby Number Four, who will never get to meet its parents, its brothers or sister. The baby that will never have a name. I wonder when that sweet child would have been born? Boy or girl? Another redhead? I wonder what Ethan, Nicholas and Zoe would have thought. I know that it wasn't really my fault, but those feelings of guilt are still there. Some days I don't think about it much, but there are other days where I feel so depressed it's difficult to get out of bed and face the day.
On that note, I am renewing my vow to God that I will not personally try to determine the size of my family, because I do not believe that it's up to me. If we believe God is truly in control, then He needs to be in control of every aspect of our lives. I will accept every child God chooses to give us without hesitation, because I know that He will not give me anything that I can't handle. He will be with us every step of the way, and if we're in His will, He will provide for our every need.
I appreciate all my friends and family who are willing to listen, empathize and pray with me through this. I love each and every one of you.
Sarah_I know EXACTLY how you feel-all the way down to feeling guilt about not being 100% overjoyed when you found out you were pregnant. When I got pregnant with my 2nd pregnancy, I was freaked out about how close together they were going to be. Then I lost the baby a few weeks later and I was ridden with guilt. It took a lot of prayer and faith to get me through. Read my post about it here: http://wesanderin.blogspot.com/2009/01/some-sad-news.html I hope it helps you in some way to know that you arent the only one going through this. God does have an amazing plan for your life. :)
ReplyDeleteThat is VERY strong of you! Giving it over to the Lord is NEVER easy, but ALWAYS the best decision. I'm on a messageboard, and have been since I got pregnant last February with Addyson. Those girls have helped me with SO many things, and I feel I have helped them, too. One of our lovely ladies is going through the EXACT same thing you are right now, and I just can't imagine feeling that ache you must be feeling. But the Lord does work in mysterious ways. No telling what this was supposed to tell you...get closer to Zoe, closer to the boys, closer to Nathan, or just closer to Him. Eyes open all the time, pointing to the sky. Thinking about you girl.
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts and prayers are with you. If you ever need to talk, all my contact information is in my FB account and I'm a really good listener. Thinking about you!
ReplyDeleteSarah, I've been there. I'm sorry for your loss. I know that our Heavenly Father loves you and your family. I promise that even though you've lost one, He will continue to bless your family, even if it's not always the way we'd want. From my experiences, a loss can bring family together, and closer to Him. I've learned to be grateful for the three that survived, to love them more, to cherish them. I know the guilt and the remorse. Don't let it pull you down. You're an amazing woman, and you are in my thoughts and prayers, especially during this difficult time. I check FB often too, so if you need me, let me know.
ReplyDeleteHey Sarah....I was on FB today and saw where you had put up a blog about supermom syndrome...so obviously I was curious. I started reading, and the next thing you know, I'm reading about your loss! I'm not going to sit here and say I understand because I don't, but I know there is one thing I can do and that is pray! I do know that there are times that God deals us a situation that we don't understand and we want to know right then and there why this happened, but aren't we glad that he's in control? I am so sorry that this happened and I can't even imagine the pain that you feel...our children are God's greatest gift. So, I will pray for God's comforting arms to wrap around you during this time and pray that he will make his will known! I love you girl!!!! Love~Amy
ReplyDeleteBIG hugs Sarah...We've lost 3 little ones. We did name them and we know that someday we'll get to meet them in Heaven. They're waiting for us with Jesus now.
ReplyDelete