-

-

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Spiritual Gifts Assessment

A few weeks ago, our Sunday school class took a spiritual gifts assessment. It was 140 questions to help determine which of the 28 spiritual gifts an individual has been given. I had always wanted to take one of these tests; I was curious to see what it might reveal about my personality. I had some preconceived ideas about which gift or gifts I might have, but was open to learning more about myself and the areas in which I should be concentrating and serving.

My top three (actually, four):
1. Discernment/Distinguishing Spirits (score: 25)
2. Teaching (score: 20)
3. Helps/Service and Administration (score: 19 on both)

Okay, so this basically means that I'm a nosy, bossy teacher. I already knew that! Okay, that's being a little too harsh, but it made me laugh. Seriously, let's look at this... (Note: I'm taking the analysis from the same website that offers the assessment. I would recommend that you all go and take the test, because it offers a lot of insight and will allow you to check out your gifted areas in more detail.)
****
Discernment/Distinguishing Spirits:
The special ability God gives to some to know with assurance whether certain behavior or teaching is from God, Satan, human error, or human power. The divine enablement to distinguish between truth and error, to discern the spirits, differentiating between good and evil, right and wrong.

People with this gift:
- distinguish truth from error, right from wrong, pure motives from impure
- identify deception in others with accuracy and appropriateness
- determine whether a word attributed to God is authentic
- recognize inconsistencies in a teaching, prophetic message, or interpretation
- are able to sense the presence of evil. 

Teaching:
The special ability God gives to some to explain the truths of the Word of God clearly and to apply them effectively so that those taught understand and learn. To instruct others in the Bible in a logical and systematic way so as to communicate pertinent information for true understanding and growth. The divine enablement to understand, clearly explain, and apply the word of God causing greater Christ-likeness in the lives of listeners.

People with this gift:
- communicate Biblical truth that inspires greater obedience to the word
- challenge listeners simply and practically with the truths of scripture
- focus on changing lives by helping others understand the Bible better
- give attention to detail and accuracy
- prepare through extended times of study and reflection.


Helps/Service:
The gift that enables a believer to work gladly behind the scenes in order that God's work is fulfilled. The special ability God gives to some to serve the church in a supporting role or to invest their talents in the life and ministry of other members of the body enabling them to increase their effectiveness. The divine enablement to accomplish practical and necessary tasks which free-up, support, and meet the needs of others.

People with this gift:
- serve behind the scenes whenever needed to support the gifts and ministries of others (without having to be asked)
- see the tangible and practical things to be done and enjoy doing them
- sense God's purpose and pleasure in meeting every day responsibilities
- attach spiritual value to practical service
- enjoy knowing that they are freeing up others to do what God has called them to do.
- would rather do a job than find someone else to do it.


Administration:
The special ability God gives to some to steer the body toward the accomplishment of God-given goals and directives by planning, organizing, and supervising others. The divine enablement to understand what makes an organization function and the special ability to plan and execute procedures that accomplish the goals of the ministry.

People with this gift:
- develop strategies or plans to reach identified goals
- assist ministries to become more effective and efficient
- create order out of organizational chaos
- manage or coordinate a variety of responsibilities to accomplish a task
- organize people, tasks, or events.

 ****
It's interesting to see that my highest score was discernment, because I wouldn't have guessed that about myself. Then again, I have a tendency to be judgmental, which isn't always a good thing, but there might be some truth at the heart of it, I suppose. I can usually peg a person pretty well based on initial impressions, and I am able to figure out their intentions pretty easily. My new personal goal is to try to use that gift in a good way, and to be careful not to judge. It's that whole finger-pointing thing. You know, the one where you need to be careful when you point your finger at someone, because there are three fingers pointing back at you? Yeah, that's Biblical. "How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." - Luke 6:42  OUCH.

Teaching was something I expected to see on my list, and I have used that gift. I started when I was young, and always knew that was the career I needed to have. What I should probably be doing is using this gift at church. I'll have to think and pray about that one.

Ha...administration. Yep, this is my first-born nature coming out, that's for sure. I do like to lead and organize, but I need to be careful with this one for a lot of reasons. The most obvious reason: I'm female. Again, something I need to think and pray about.

Wow, this turned into a really long post. Sorry! Hope you guys didn't give up about halfway and close the window. Anyway, the test we took can be found HERE. There are many others out there...let me know if you find one you like better! I hope those of you still reading have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment