-

-

Friday, May 13, 2011

Anna's Birth Story - Part One

*Caution: do not read if you are a huge weenie and hate hearing details about childbirth or anything associated with childbirth. You've been warned.*

Tuesday morning, Zoe woke us up at about 6:00. My 38-week OB appointment was scheduled for 10:00, so I decided to go take a shower and start getting ready so we could get breakfast going and the kids wrangled a little more quickly once the boys got up. I felt fine, just the usual aches and pains that I'd been experiencing for weeks already.

Out of the shower, I was feeling a little achy, but it wasn't anything consistent (or anything that I could actually time), so I brushed it off. Closer to 7:00, I was starting to have pain. Nathan was feeding the kids, and I decided to throw some things in my suitcase, in case we ended up going to the hospital. I still hadn't had any significant contractions that I could actually time, and nothing was consistent. I was a little nervous, so I asked if we could head over to the Alexanders' house earlier than planned (the kids were staying there for the day) and go ahead in to Austin.

I was definitely feeling much more pain during the drive, so I told Nathan I'd feel more comfortable if we headed to Labor & Delivery instead of my OB's office, just so they could check me out. Once we got to his parents' house, Nathan hopped out of the car, got the kids unloaded quickly, and we sped to Austin. Thankfully, the traffic wasn't too bad, and we got to the hospital in about 40 minutes or so. Our official check-in time: 9:10 AM. Dilation: 6 cm. and completely effaced. I was definitely in labor.

The nurse could not get my IV started, which was actually a big deal. Earlier in the pregnancy, I tested positive for Group B Strep, so they had to hurry up and try to get some antibiotics in my system so that Anna wouldn't be affected by the bacteria. Since my previous labor with Zoe was so rapid, they were concerned that there wouldn't be enough time for me to receive as much medication as was recommended. Finally, the nurse was successful (I almost punched her), so we could get things going.

During all this, there was a flurry of excitement, and so much happened in a very short period of time. People were constantly coming in and out of my room to ask a million questions, copy my insurance card, bring in supplies for the delivery, etc. Looking back, it's not really funny as much as it is completely ridiculous. I've never seen such a nightmare of paperwork and policy at such an inappropriate time in my life!

What was I doing during all that? Well, my contractions were basically one on top of the other, so intense that I was shaking uncontrollably with each wave. It was like being boiled alive and not being able to escape. I was trying so hard to maintain control, to hold on to my rational thoughts and realize that it would be over soon and that I could make it, but I couldn't even think clearly after a while. I wasn't getting a break after each contraction, and it made it impossible to brace myself for the next one. Everything was moving so fast, and I was in a panic. I kept waiting for the nurse to check me to see if I'd made any more progress, and how much, in the hopes that it would reinforce my strength and I'd be able to have the unmedicated birth that I wanted. No one checked me again.

I finally caved in a moment of intense pain and asked for an epidural. It took forever (it seemed like it, anyway) for the anesthesiologist to show up and administer it. I was doubled over and crying before he finally got finished. Timestamp: 10:20 AM.

They had me roll over on my side in the bed (it allows the meds to evenly distribute and take the pain away), and they were getting ready to turn on the pump and get the drugs flowing. At that moment, I had a monster contraction, heard a "pop," and my water broke. I felt everything inside me move down drastically, and the pressure was super intense. When the nurse had me lift up off the bed so she could change the padding underneath me, I told her that I was feeling lots of pressure, so she decided to check for progress. She felt Anna's head. The next thing I heard was, "Uh, we have a delivery. STAT." People started moving really quickly.

Dr. P came through the doors in about two minutes flat (no joke), and immediately started getting ready to deliver. I kept hearing, "Don't push! Don't push!" and I was saying, "I'm trying not to!" Nathan told me later that he was standing there, looking at Anna's hair. It was that close. Finally, after an eternity (it was only a minute or two), I got to push! 

One push...stop. Dr. P moved Anna around a little bit to deliver her head.
Two pushes...stop. Dr. P pulled on Anna to deliver her shoulders.
Okay, half a push...she's out and crying!

Timestamp: 10:31 AM.


Anna Beth Alexander
8 lbs., 20.5 inches long
Eyes: dark blue
Hair: RED!


To be continued...


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations again! :) What a quick labor and delivery!

    ReplyDelete