The boys had so much fun running around outside. They had tons of soccer balls, footballs, baseball bats, etc. laying around outside, so my little redheads used their imagination to create some new sports. Ethan's favorite: "faseball," a sport which requires the players to throw a heavy, foam football up in the air and whack it with a plastic baseball bat. "Faseball" is also appropriately named after the part of Nicholas that was injured during the creation of this sport. I was surprised at how well Ethan actually did when it came to smacking the ball a good distance. I think we may have a ball player in the making. (I can hear my father cheering somewhere in the distance.)
After the sports equipment lost its excitement value, we moved on to the playground. The church has a big playscape on the property for the kiddos with a slide, swings and all that good stuff. The boys climbed up and were going to go down the slide, when Nicky decided to freak out. He has been down slides before, and I have no clue why this particular one scared him so badly. Maybe he has an aversion to yellow, because the slide looked like a giant banana. Anyway, as I was going over to talk to him, I noticed something underneath the platform of the playscape. A huge yellowjacket nest. Oh, yippee...
I got my mother's attention, and we got the kids away from the area. Then, she decided to be brave and go back to kill some scary, winged insects. I think she's allergic to them, now that I'm looking back. Anyway, she takes her shoe off and starts whacking stuff. It was a little comical, and the kids were standing there asking me funny things like, "Why is Grammy walking like that?" Once the bugs were all smashed, we went back in because the boys wanted to swing. Nicholas was getting into the tire swing when he suddenly whimpered and said, "A bug bit my leg!" Sure enough...
A nice yellowjacket sting. His first.
The kid didn't even cry! I totally would have been a wimp about it, but he didn't seem to care. This is the same child that trips over his own feet, lands gently on a carpeted floor, and bawls for two hours. I don't know. I put some ice on it, and distracted him by letting the boys have some sweet tea.
I know...caffeine and sugar. Brave Mommy.
They definitely enjoyed it.
Before you ask, Zoe was there, too! It's hard to take pictures of her while I'm holding her, but once Granddad showed up, she didn't want anything to do with me.
They're just a little bit attached to one another.
Tired of pictures? Too bad! This is the best part, though...the FOOD! I'm a Texas girl, so it comes as no surprise that I am a total sucker for some decent BBQ with all the trimmings. How do you think I keep my figure, anyway? My dad is a Brisket King! Anyway, the food was fantastic!
Mmmm...
Brisket attack!
Hannibal Lecter? Nope, just Nicky.
Even Zoe pigged out!
Okay, enough pictures. If you're not craving some BBQ and potato salad by now, you're seriously insane. We had a great time! Thanks to CVBC, Josh and Andee, the youth guys and gals, and the guy whose name I can't remember that cooked the yummy meat all by himself! It was great!
No comments:
Post a Comment