-

-

Monday, May 24, 2010

Zoo Day!

Mondays are typically not my favorite day around here. The kids seem to know this, and they do their best to make it as horrible as possible (most of the time). Today was an exception. My mom decided to take a day off (which she really needed), and we packed up the car to go to the San Antonio Zoo!


We were a little freaked out on the drive to SA, because the kids were in terrible moods and it started to rain. There were a couple of moments where I was tempted to turn around and go home to avoid any potential disasters. I'm so glad I didn't! The rain went away, and the kids perked up once we arrived.

I usually take my camera, but had second thoughts this time. I have SO many pictures from the zoo, and they're all pretty much the same. I decided to grab it at the last minute, along with my monster zoom lens (the broken one), just in case I saw something worth shooting. Boy, am I happy I did that! A day for good choices, apparently! I got some great pictures, and my lens cooperated just enough to get some great up-close shots of the animals. So, now you're going to be subjected to a ton of photos. Sorry! (Not really.)

An 873 year-old grizzly bear.
Mom thought he/she looked depressed.

Zoe absolutely LOVED the grizzly bear. She was completely focused on watching it pacing back and forth, and didn't want to walk away from it! She spotted it as soon as we walked over to the exhibit, and immediately wanted us to pick her up so she could get a better look.

"Pick me up! I wanna see!!"

Randomness: My mother and I developed a theory about the absent polar bear. So many years, while I was growing up (still working on that...ha!), there was always a polar bear at the SA Zoo. Just a few years ago, it disappeared. We think it was the same bear, in that same exhibit for over 25 years (or more!). I think the poor thing croaked, and that's why there is no longer a polar bear exhibit. I'm afraid poor Grizzly up there is headed for the same fate.

A lazy jaguar...the boys' favorite.

It was relatively cool when we first arrived, so most of the animals were out and about. We got to the Africa Live! section and we were so excited to see that one of the hippos was actually looking our way! If you've been to the zoo in SA recently, you'll know that the new hippo exhibit is really cool, but that the hippos are usually displaying their most unattractive side to the visitors. We saw a hippo face this time!

Grammy was trying to get the boys to be brave and go up to the glass.
It didn't work.

After we convinced the boys that the hippo was not going to come through the glass and devour them both, we moved on to find the crocodiles, which Nicholas had been asking about since we walked through the entrance.

Creepy.

He's a happy guy; he got to see his crocodiles!

We didn't get to see the elephant because of some more Africa Live! construction, and it disappointed the boys quite a bit, but they quickly got over it when we reached the rhino enclosure. A juvenile rhino was right next to the fenced walkway, and the keepers were trying to lure him into another section with bamboo bribes. We watched for a while. The rhino reminded me of my kids...stubborn as can be! He didn't budge, and at one point decided to lay down and relax.

See? He has that defiant look in his eye.

Anyway, considering how much those little legs walked, how hot it was as the day went on, and how many people were at the zoo, I thought my boys did a great job, behavior-wise. They lasted more than four hours, and we had no problems. Look how cute they are with their Grammy and Granddad...

I'm totally slacking off; I only had to carry the camera.
(I promise I did more work later. Honest.)

And Zoe, too. I'm not forgetting her. She did a great job, and seemed to have a lot of fun. About 30 or 40 minutes before we left, she completely crashed in her Granddad's arms.

Totally zonked.

I do have to include the requisite San Antonio Zoo lion statue photos. If I didn't take pictures of my children climbing on the giant lion sculpture, I would not be a good parent. I'm already in trouble for not taking any bluebonnet pictures, so I don't want to push it.

One child...and...two children. Done.
Now I won't be burned at the stake.
Oh, wait. I forgot Zoe. Darn!

To be fair, there were other people waiting to take pictures, and I would've done it on the way out, but she was sleeping. I told you, I like justification!

On the way home, the car was very quiet. Three sleeping kiddos, all completely worn out from a really full, really fun day. I was so proud of how well they did! I can't wait to go again. The family membership has definitely been worthwhile. I'm totally buying another one next year.

Before I let you leave, I'm posting a few more pictures, because they turned out so well!


Pretty neat, huh?

3 comments:

  1. We love the SA Zoo! I grew up in the midwest--where every zoo has pandas and polar bears and penguins, etc. So, to hear that they used to have a polar bear and I missed it! :( BUMMER!

    LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the hippo shot!! We've never seen them turned around!!! Great pictures Sarah, thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They used to have penguins, when I was really little. I remember them, though! I always thought it was cruel to have a polar bear living in the Texas heat, but what do I know?

    We should all meet at the zoo one day! It would be so much fun with all the kiddos! Maybe sometime in the fall, when it's not 115 degrees outside with 93 percent humidity? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The polar bear exhibits up North were almost mostly indoors--this one wasn't? YIKES!!
    Yes, meeting up at the zoo would be great!

    ReplyDelete