I can remember trips to the grocery store when I was actually able to go by myself and get everything I needed in under an hour. Yep, I know. It's hard to imagine now. I used to walk the aisles independently, grabbing only the things I needed or wanted, without having to worry about noisy interruptions, trips to the potty, fights breaking out, or little unnecessary odds and ends landing in my shopping cart.
I can also remember watching other shoppers, particularly when I was waiting in line to pay for my groceries. There were many times when I would see a mother with several children, buying huge bulk items: two gallons (or more) of milk, giant bags of fruits and vegetables, several dozen eggs, multiple loaves of bread, etc. My thought process at the time was, "How is it possible to go through that much food before it all goes bad?" When we were first married, Nathan and I barely went through a dozen eggs in a month, and it took us over a week to consume one gallon of milk. Produce got rotten and had to be thrown away before we could even eat it all, and all our meat and cheese had to be frozen so we could have a chance to use it before the expiration date.
Well, guess what? My day has arrived. It totally crept up on me, because I don't remember an immediate, overnight change, but it's official now. We have become one of "those" families. I am the woman standing in front of you in the checkout line with two gallons of milk, two dozen eggs, massive jugs of laundry detergent, and multi-packs and family sizes of everything else you could imagine (and don't forget the tired, screaming children). The bad news (for us)? This happens weekly, usually. We go to the store and load up, then it seems like we have to go back for more just a few days later. I feel like I should just set up house at Wal-Mart and HEB because I'm there so much.
Anyone hungry? I just went to the store yesterday, so we should have some yummy stuff around here for another 24 hours or so. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment