Truly crappy week. Blah.
I've had a couple of people comment on our insurance situation ("I hope you have good insurance!"). Well, our insurance is good, when we actually get to the point that we can use it. We currently have two separate insurance policies. One for me, and one for Nathan and the kids. Nathan is, as you know, self-employed. This means that we have to insure ourselves, which costs an obscene fortune. To keep the monthly payments cheap, we have a high deductible. So, for each policy, we have to reach $5000 before the insurance will actually pay for anything. On each policy. Yep, that's $10,000, folks. :) It would be better if we were all on the same policy with one deductible, and we'll probably fix that soon, but none of this insurance covers maternity (unless you want to pay a ton of extra money each month), and I have a slight maternity benefit on my policy. Since I seem to find myself in a "family way" fairly often, we thought we'd hang on to it for a while.
I know, it's boring. But there it is. The truly sad thing: I've actually met my deductible for the year already. After the viral/bacterial stuff earlier this year, the D&C and all the OB appointments for the miscarriages, we've already shelled out that preliminary five grand. Nice, huh? I suppose the positive side to all that is any other appointments this year should be a lot cheaper.
This is why we complain when we have to take someone to the doctor, or when something medically necessary comes along. So, just suck it up. :)
In other news, my kids are misbehaving more this week than they ever have before. I think it might be the weather. I love them more than anything, but I'm thinking about duct tape and rope right now. Too bad they're so darn cute...it just might save them.
Well Sarah, I can offer big hugs and lots of prayers for you. Here's to better days!
ReplyDeleteI totally understand the self employed issue with health insurance! They charge WAY too much money for it, even with the higher deductables. I hope you all feel better soon! And I'm sorry to hear the kids are acting up. I hope today is better!
ReplyDeleteI'd like to know where you found insurance in TX that covers maternity at all. That's (partly) why I'm still paying for cobra through the school. Brad's insurance doesn't cover anything toward fertility stuff or maternity. Grrrr. I tried calling around and couldn't find any of the insurance companies that would cover at least maternity. Not even as a separate rider that I was willing to pay extra for. I hope you get to feeling better.
ReplyDeleteI, unfortunately, understand the self-insurance thing too. It is SUPER expensive. We have to really budget tight for it. Will and Joe are on one and I'm on another just because of the maternity coverage. And, yes, that does add about $40/month. I actually had switched over but once I realized there wasn't any and called my clinic to see how much having a baby was I switched back to my other plan. It's crazy how much they charge for all of this stuff! Very irritating.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I'm sorry for the insurance comment. I really didn't mean to offend you by it. I hope you all get better. I'll say a prayer for you guys!
We're getting lots better over here. Thanks, guys!
ReplyDeleteStacy, it doesn't cover maternity at all. There is a small maternity benefit of $2,000-3,000, but after that, we're on our own. Since the bill from conception to birth runs close to $15,000, it doesn't help much. Any kind of maternity coverage costs lots extra. Also, you can't get pregnant for a certain amount of time (usually six months to one year) or the coverage is voided, even if you've been paying for it for months. Nice, huh? Right now I'm with Golden Rule through United Health Care, if you want to check into it.
Oh, and Liz - your comment did not offend me at all. No worries. :)
ReplyDelete